Friday, June 17, 2011

Welcome to my blog!

Hi everyone!! This is my blog! Ok I shall be honest. This is actually my second go at starting my blog.  But in my defense I started a blog in January when my daughter was a mere 2 months old and as every mother knows, that stage is NOT easy.  I decided to write a blog for several reasons but the main reason is that I want to not only share my journey through my weight loss struggles, but I want to share with everyone the information that I find to be helpful among this sea of bad information! 

I can’t really talk much about what I’m doing here without giving any background on myself.  Normally I would say just click the ABOUT ME tab, but lets just start from the beginning. 

My story sounds a lot like many Americans today.  I had a pretty decent childhood, with rewards like McDonald’s Happy Meals for good grades, or Pizza Hut, or any other AMAZING (?) fast food treat within a 5 mile radius of our home.  My mother has always been a bit of a health nut so she would always make sure we ate what she thought was healthy and allowed us to splurge every once in a while.  I was on the swim team for 9 years and I remember after every swim meet, we would head to Cici’s Pizza and devour stacks of pizza and desserts along with the rest of the team.  Occasionally, my dad would stop and buy us ice cream on the way home from a day full of errands as a treat for being well – behaved.  Pretty normal childhood right?  Well I thought all of this was relatively normal until I woke up one morning, looked at myself in the mirror and realized I was 24, 5’3, 215 lbs and 6 weeks from my wedding.  I, naturally, panicked!  I starved myself (literally), worked out like an addict, and made it to my wedding day weighing 189.  Our wedding came and went, and when we got back from our honeymoon, we came back to the real world of Friday night Margaritas and burgers.  So I decided that I was NOT going to go down that path and back to my days of exercising religiously an hour and a half a day, and eating chicken and leaves, literally.  Long story short, 2 months after the honeymoon I realized I was pregnant!  Definitely not planned but she has changed my life J  Our  beautiful baby girl was born November 11th.

After baby…..
 Needless to say, after I had the baby, I had some weight I wanted to lose.  Now I was lucky (for the first time in my life) and the pregnancy was truly ideal.  I gained 23 lbs and 10 days after I had my baby, I was back down 19 lbs.  But those last lbs!  They stuck to me like glue. No matter how much I starved, no matter how much I worked out, NOTHING made that scale budge.  After trying unsuccessfully for 6 months I decided that I was going to do whatever it took.  I started doing a no-carb diet. That meant  eating no carbs, at all, ever.  And it worked! I lost weight! But don’t let a piece of bread even be within arm’s reach because I would feel my weight increasing.  I had great success with the no-carb diet.  I lost 18 lbs, and I currently weigh 175 to date.  I should be happy right?!  I mean I haven’t been 175 in 3 to 4 years!  But this was when I reached an epiphany.

Epiphany moment….
Here I was, at 175, the lightest I had been in a long time.  But it came at a serious price.  This meant eating no more than 750 calories per day, no carbs and working out like a fiend.  Don’t even mention a “cheat meal” because that in itself would make me gain 4 lbs and I would spend the next week trying to bring that down.  We all know that one person that eats whatever they want and works out little or nothing at all, and doesn’t gain a pound.  That’s what got me thinking.  Why is it that I had to go through all this just to fit in my jeans, and here some people had the luxury of eating what they wanted and the furthest thought from their mind was whether or not their jeans would fit the next day?  I mean, there had to be something they were doing that I was not.  Some memo that they received that I obviously had not been included on.  Now I am a true believer in fate.  I think that was meant to happen will always happen.  I feel like you will always be guided to where you need to be at every moment of the day.  About a month and a half ago, I subscribed to Oxygen Magazine.  For those of you that want serious work outs and health tips, I definitely recommend.  http://www.oxygenmag.com/.   As I was thumbing through one of the issues, I noticed a trend.  I noticed that the recipes had ingredients I had never seen at my local Wal-mart.  Some of the tips on what to eat, were things that I had never heard of.  That day I decided to go to Amazon and order a copy of Jillian Michael’s Master your Metabolism.  Little did I know that Jillian would completely open up my world and completely change the way I thought about health and fitness.  

So whats this blog about again?
This blog is about my journey through discovering what clean eating means, figuring out just how much damage processed foods cause our systems, and giving as much information about what I find that works, and what doesn’t work as well as all kinds of fitness tips.  I want a place where I can share the information that I find such as recipes, quotes, fitness tips, exercises, article reviews and anything else I can find.  Welcome to my blog J

share on: facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Views